NewzReport Read here first · then visit the publisher
AllBusinessEntertainmentFinanceHealthPoliticsScienceSportsTechTechnologyTopUSWorld
image
Sports · Yahoo SportsThu, 19 Feb 2026 22:17:12 +0000

D-Backs All-Star Ketel Marte breaks silence on offseason trade negotiations

Sep 28, 2025; San Diego, California, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) looks skyward after hitting a solo home run during the first inning against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images SCOTTSDALE — The offseason wasn’t the easiest for Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte, as his future in the desert was uncertain.

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) during spring training workouts at Salt River Fields on Feb. 13, 2026, in Scottsdale. © Rob Schumacher/The Republic / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images The Diamondbacks, like any other team, were focused on retooling and finding the right pieces for the 2026 season.

With a pitching staff riddled with inconsistencies and injuries, the plan was to acquire the arms necessary to compete this year. One way to do that? Trading their All-Star second baseman while his value was high. Marte was coming off another MVP-caliber season and, despite missing time with a hamstring sprain in April, still posted a .283 batting average with 28 home runs and 72 RBIs.

That production was enticing enough for several teams to call and explore what kind of package might work in a deal for Marte. Arizona Diamondbacks Ketel Marte reacts after hitting a home run off Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Roki Sasaki in the first inning at Chase Field in Phoenix, on May 9, 2025.

© Rob Schumacher/The Republic / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images However, as time went on and potential packages ultimately fell through, Arizona decided earlier this year to keep Marte in the Valley. Now, the second baseman says that the period of uncertainty affected him personally. “That time wasn’t easy for me,” Marte said to Periódico El Día’s Iván Cruz Díaz.

“It was a month and a half waking up, grabbing my phone and seeing my name everywhere on social media.” (Translated from Spanish to English) Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) during spring training workouts at Salt River Fields on Feb. 16, 2026, in Scottsdale.

© Rob Schumacher/The Republic / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images Marte’s comments provide emotional transparency from an All-Star whose name circulated throughout the baseball world. A player once viewed as untouchable quickly became a major trade chip for Arizona — a reminder of what MLB is about: always listening to offers that best suit a team’s future.

While the experience was difficult, Marte said he prioritized patience and perspective. “What I did was stay calm,” he said. “I’m under contract, so any team that I play for has to pay me. I’m Ketel, I’m not another name. With health, God first, I’ll do my job with any team.

But I didn’t want to leave.” (Translated from Spanish to English) With another season ahead in Arizona and the trade talk behind him, the focus now shifts back to baseball — and to Marte continuing to do his job, exactly where he wants to be. *Get the BEST Phoenix sports insider information, and exclusive content. SIGN UP HERE to unlock our premium content!* Wendy Lopez is a reporter for Burn City Sports.

You can follow her on her X account, @wlopezde Diamondbacks’ Kevin Ginkel confident in bullpen bounce-back in 2026 SCOTTSDALE — The offseason wasn’t the easiest for Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte, as his future in the desert was uncertain. Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) during spring training workouts at Salt River Fields on Feb.